THE DARK DAYS OF WINTER


The ground is covered with snow that has hardened to ice and freezing rain is predicted today. It seems a long time since we could step outside without wearing coats and boots. I'm looking forward to seeing tulip buds and hyacinths peeking out of the ground and exploring the back garden to see what has survived and what will require my attention. The garden hides her secrets during the winter months and reveals them one by one as the snow melts and the sun rejuvenates the dormant foliage.

Despite the weather, it's my daily custom to feed birds and squirrels from a box, hanging on the branch of a birch tree and, occasionally, I am rewarded by the call of a bluejay or cardinal. My home office window overlooks the backyard and the small wildlife offerings help brighten the loneliness of a writer's life. 

I believe it's important during the cold months of the year to create a serene space where my creative juices are able to flow and not freeze like the landscape outside my window. I keep cherished knickknacks close by and my pens are stored in a blue china mug on my desk. A framed Monet print of water lilies and a vision board, showcasing cards and photographs of  people and places I love, share one wall, while the other walls are hidden behind white bookshelves crammed with favorite tomes that have all been read several times.

My writing room is constantly changing to accommodate new favorite items that give me pleasure and help inspire the inner writer in me.

What are some of the things that inspire your writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment